Sunday, February 13, 2011

I love coconut, but in oatmeal??

Pin It I made Gina's Coconut Curry Butternut Squash soup last night and decided I would double the recipe since I had so much squash (still have squash leftover!).  It was SO good.  I think the only thing I would change would be to add more squash to make it thicker.  All that being said, when I doubled the recipe I needed to add 2 cups of coconut milk (500 ml)...sadly, our cans are 398 ml, so I had to open a second can for that wee little bit.  That's OK though, I decided I would experiment with coconut milk this week.  I'll try it in my oatmeal, maybe in my smoothies...worth a shot, right?

So this morning I had it all planned out.  My regular oatmeal, a bit of peanut butter, 1/4 cup coconut milk (it's light btw), an apple and a tablespoon of shredded coconut for good measure.  I have to say I was a bit disappointed.  It lacked the pizazz I thought it might have.  I think sometimes I forget that these "real" ingredients don't have as much potent flavour as their "fake" versions (maple cookies vs maple syrup, coconut milk vs a Mounds chocolate bar).  Oh well, I'm not done with the whole coconut milk in the oatmeal bit.  Maybe I'll try it with banana tomorrow...and a pinch of cocoa...that might kick it up a notch.  I might need to add some vanilla too.

I think my next cooking experiment will be with Pumpkin Butter - Gina has an amazing sounding recipe for pumpkin butter that she incorporates into a bunch of other amazing sounding recipes like Skinny Pumpkin Spiced Latte - Jewell, if you're reading this, I think it's a take off Starbucks...if it turns out, I'll make one for you (only 2 Points on the old WW program and 3 Points+ on the new one)!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I sure love trying new recipes. I made Kale Chips yesterday. Have you had them? I wasn't as impressed as some of the other bloggers. I don't think I'd make them again, but I'm glad I tried them. BTW, I forgot to tell you that I love the name of your blog. Very clever. So many of us are afraid to bare arms.

Tanya said...

I've seen the kale chip recipes out there...not sure if it's one I would try...they look strange :-)

PS - I used to be afraid to bare my arms...now I just don't care (much) ;-)