Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Are you really fooling anybody?

Pin It
People often talk to me about their weight loss efforts and oftentimes I hear people say that they just can't lose weight or that the weight doesn't come off fast enough.  I think when we (including me) start to feel this way we need to do some reflecting.  Do we honestly track our food?  Every BLT (bite, lick, taste)???  Do we track our liquids (and point the ones that need to be pointed)?  Are we working out as much as we should be?  Are we getting out healthy requirements (dairy, water, oils, etc.)?  For the most part, I suspect we can dissect things and come up with a reason why our losses have slowed or stopped.  I know a friend of mine who is on program states that she isn't losing like she'd like to be - but I also know that she's not tracking snacks, nibbles, etc.  It's shocking how quickly those things can add up!  If I'm snacking consistently or taking bites of things regularly, I will track it.  Today I had lunch with a friend and stole two of her french fries...these I dont' track - I also don't do that on a regular basis.  BUT if I'd had say 6 or more, I would have counted them as that is looking more like a serving...really, how would you count two tiny fries?? lol  I guess I could figure it out, but as I've said before, I track religiously, so the odd french fry doesn't bother me.  If I'm home and I've made say a pot of soup and I've sampled it and sampled it to get the flavour right, then I would put down an appropriate point value, depending on the number of BLTs I'd taken :)  Right now my own weight loss has slowed considerably.  I am blaming part of that on being somewhat close to my goal (24 pounds) - some experts call the last 20-25 pounds "vanity weight" - not that you're vein for trying to lose it, but our bodies often will resist losing it, wanting to hold onto it.  Part of the problem is me too.  I do not do strength training like I should - I will admit, I hate it.  My cardio is right where it should be, but grrrrr, I hate lifting a weight (whether it's a dumbbell or my own body weight!) and sometimes I take the attitude "nobody can make me!!!"  I guess all that to say, I'm not fooling anyone but me.  If I don't properly track or exercise, nobody else will care - it doesn't bother anyone else if I'm not on program 100%...I'm only fooling myself!  I think it's time to stop...  I think I need to hit the gym today instead of the trail...maybe I'll walk to the gym...  Maybe I'll sit on my butt and watch TV and continue to lose slowly... whatever I do, I reap the rewards or suffer the consequences of my decisions...

Do you track all the time?  Are you 100% truthful with your tracker?

2 comments:

~ Jury said...

You're absolutely right about this! & the hardest person to fool is yourself because you know the truth! I'm guilty of not counting tastes and bites and I'm currently at a stall to, but I believe it's only my fault. I need to push harder! :)

Tanya said...

We can do this!! ;-)