Thursday, March 3, 2011

A healthy workplace

Pin It
I am SO excited!  I was speaking with a former classmate of mine (from many moons ago!) in the past week and she mentioned the healthy initiative that her office has taken.  It sounded great to me!  I've been thinking about it for the past few days and I mentioned the idea to a few co-workers today and they thought it was a great idea.  I emailed our managing partner to get his OK to run with the idea (and his OK to buy a couple healthy office lunches when we have guest speakers in) and he thinks it's a great idea too!  I have so many thoughts going through my mind that I don't quite no where to begin.  I have a message in to the dietitian at Sobeys to see if they will come in and give at least one lunch-hour talk to our office.  I also am fairly certain that the gym in our office complex would come in at some point and give a fitness talk.  I've downloaded a bunch of articles from various health resources.  I have games/contests in my mind (need to find some prizes!).

Has anyone else done this in their office?  Please leave me your suggestions here...I'm always open to idea!!

Sorry for the slow blog week.  Hopefully next week will be better.  I will keep you all posted on how our office does with this initiative.

'night all!

2 comments:

Brandi {1 of 2} said...

This is a fabulous idea! I don't know what kind of limitations you have, but here are some things that came to mind.

At my job (hospital) they have a program where you log your exercise and earn points that you can spend on items such as exercise dvd's, athletic clothing, cookbooks, etc.

Have a potluck and/or recipe exchange every month.

Have people bring in recipes that they've made at home and make a copy of them for everyone or put them all in a binder and people can copy what they want.

The vending machines at my job sell diet soda for .15 cents cheaper than regular soda.

Some nurses on my unit had a biggest loser contest where they each put in $20 and at the end of the time, the biggest loser won the pot.

Enter a 5K walk/run as a team. You could even train for it together outside of work.

Good luck with this program! I hope it goes well. =)

Tanya said...

Thanks Brandi! Some great ideas!