Saturday, March 26, 2011

Not overweight yet

Pin It
So I had a disappointing, but not surprising result on the scale this week.  I was up 0.4 pounds when in a perfect world, I would have been down 0.4 pounds and into the overweight BMI category.  I am not making excuses - I felt yucky all week and only had about a workout and a half...my shoulder is killing me.  My appointment with my doctor is on Wednesday night and I will discuss with her which course of treatment I should follow - physio, massage, chiro, etc.  My PT tried to get me doing some shoulder exercises on Wed night, but the pain was so intense it made me sick to my stomach.  Sooooo, looking outside today at the blue skies and bright sun, I'm thinking I should get off my butt and go for a walk...doesn't take a good shoulder to put on sneakers and walk, right!?  Unless I decide to walk on my hands...boy the neighbours will talk...

I did come to a decision this week.  I've discovered I am an all or nothing kinda girl.  I put expectations on myself with respect to exercise - I think that I need to be working out 6 days per week and if I don't hit at least 5, I beat myself up over it.  I've decided that I am going to focus on getting 3 really GOOD workouts in each week for a while, plus maybe a day when I swim or something a bit more leisurely.  I think I need to take some of the pressure off of myself.  I can't relax my eating habits - I know myself too well - it's a very slippery slope if I relax back into my old habits.  And really there is no need to - with the WW program, I can eat the things I used to eat, just in smaller amounts or less frequently.  I've also learned to love new healthy foods (sushi, for one!) and use them to treat myself when I need a food treat.

Ok, onto the bananas from last weekend's post.  Here is the nutritional info on one medium banana:

105 calories
0 fat
27 carb
3 fibre
1 protein

So...I'll ask you - are bananas fattening???  Um, I think no since there are 0 grams of fat in a medium banana.  I think that bananas, like anything, could pile on weight if you stuff your face with them all day long, sure.  Same could be said for apples.  Berries.  Mangoes.  Fruits still has calories.  I think a banana each day is fine - 2-3 bananas might pose a problem for someone, but my final verdict is this - BANANAS DID NOT MAKE ME FAT!  ;-)

2 comments:

Marilee said...

If they are one the bottom of a banana split they do! Bananas good!

Tanya said...

Haha, nope, my bananas go on TOP of my banana split, so they're OK ;-) lol