Monday, September 6, 2010

The longest journey begins with a single step

Pin It I have recently begun walking again.  I used to walk (off and on) many years ago, but unfortunately my walking partner and I were not well matched (she was significantly faster and in much better shape than I).  I have begun walking with another friend of mine lately an we have discovered we are very walking-compatible!  Sometimes our walks are short (5km-ish) and sometimes long (8km-ish), but we always seem to be on the same wavelength and we walk at the same pace.  I set a goal for myself a couple of weeks ago that I wanted to have walked 100 kilometers before I do the 5K CIBC Run for the Cure.  Since around the middle of August I have walked 65.33 kms and I still have almost a month to go before the 5K!  I'm having a bit of fun charting different walks in our neighbourhood - rarely do we take the same walk twice and I don't think we've ever done the same route twice in a row.  I have been using www.mapmywalks.com which is great!  I also log my mileage on Sparkpeople.com, which will, based on my current weight, calculate calories burned.  I guess I'm a bit of a facts and figures girl - I love seeing the numbers!  Hoping the nice weather continues long into the Fall so that we can continue walking - we do have water aerobics to fall back on, but I think we both prefer the walking.

Well, I'm off to begin a busy week!

0 comments: