Sunday, January 29, 2012

My coke problem

Pin It

No, not THAT kind of coke...Coke (as in Coca-Cola Classic).  Not the diet kind, but The Real Thing.  I was an addict (of Coca Cola Classic) for many years before beginning this journey.  It's been about two years since I've had The Real Thing.  Sure, the diet variety has tried to take its place, but nothing can replace The Real Thing.  I'm not a fan of Diet Coke so rather than swapping one bad habit (sugar) for another (aspartame), I went cold turkey.

This past week I have had an awful craving for an ice cold Coke and a Cadbury Wunderbar...oh the peanut buttery-chocolate goodness of the Wunderbar.  A friend of mine used to tell me that if I wanted something I should wait 20 minutes and see if I still wanted it...I could feel the bubbles of the ice cold Coke slipping down my throat.  I denied this craving thinking that it would go away.  But almost a week later it was still there so  I decided that this weekend would be the weekend that I would indulge.  The bar alone is 9 Points+ and 12 oz of Coke is 4 Points+.  A grand total of 13 Points+ for this indulgence. I bought the bar on Friday night but my Sobeys store didn't have any cans of Coke (only Pepsi...which will NOT do).  So I waited.  Today I finally found my Coke - could not get it in a can (without buying a 6-pack) so I bought the small bottle.  Made sure it was nice and cold and tonight I sat down with my 12 oz of Coke and my Wunderbar.  The Wunderbar did NOT disappoint.  The only bad thing about it was the ending...I did not want it to end.  The Coke, however, was a bit of a letdown.  It didn't taste as good as I recalled from my old Coke days.  I wonder now how much of my Coke drinking was habit more so than addiction.  I think I've replaced my caffeine from the Coke by increasing my coffee intake (not terribly) - I am not sure what the draw was...I still have coke left in the bottle and I think I will pour it down the drain.  Never in my 37 years have I ever thrown away perfectly good Coke!  I guess my taste-buds have changed. I will have the Wunderbar again (not for a while at 9 Points+) but likely not the Coke.

I am now realizing that I drank a glass of fully caffeinated/sugared Coke...at 9pm... Hmmm....could be a long/late night!

2 comments:

Grammy G's Advice for Life said...

Hey Tanya: I've been battling the sugar monster now for awhile. Was doing so well, even through Christmas.....and then came the pot luck/Bible study we have every Sunday night. I thought I would have a "treat" on those nights and be a good girl the rest of the week. Not so. I found that my love of sweets (especially cake) was my undoing but it only started a bad habit all over again and continued on throughout the week. Not a good game plan at all. When you mentioned about going cold turkey, I thought that maybe it was time. Please keep me in your prayers this week as I'm going to give this over to Him but I know I have to do my part to. Thanks and God bless, Angela

Tanya said...

Hi Angela - I struggle with all social situations like that and often find myself avoiding them for that very reason :( Good luck with the sugar monster!!!