Saturday, April 14, 2012

Savoury oats!

Pin It I had a very late breakfast this morning (probably 11:30 before I finished!) so I wasn't hungry come lunchtime, so I had an equally late lunch :)  I'm running out of ideas for lunches, so I was going to just have oatmeal...normally I add fruit to my oatmeal (banana or apple typically), but where I'd eaten a mountain of fruit at Cora's this morning, I didn't really want fruit, so I turned to my friend Google for some non-fruit oatmeal ideas and up popped a ton of ideas for savoury oats!  Some of them sounded gross...but I thought I'd give it a try. 

Tanya's savoury oats

1/3 cup large flake rolled oats
1 scant cup of water (slightly less)
1 raw egg
seasoning to taste (I used my Epicure  Red Garlic Sansel...just got a new bottle!!)

Mix all ingredients together in a microwave-safe bowl (make sure it's a deep bowl!!) and microwave on high for about 2 minutes.  Stir well and then add 2 Tbsp of shredded cheese (I used Parmesan) and return to microwave for about 40 seconds.  Mix well and add additional seasoning if you like.  Enjoy!

 Overall it was a very satisfying lunch!  I thought the egg in the oats would be ewy, but it wasn't at all.  I think I might try to come up with some more savoury oatmeal ideas to have as back-up plans for lunches (and suppers too!).

Don't be afraid, give it a try!  If you are following WW, then the points+ value would be 6 if making it exactly like I have here...a great deal for a very filling lunch.

1 comments:

Shondi said...

Never tried savoury oats before!