Sunday, March 4, 2012

The great grapefruit experiment!

Pin It If you read my post last week about the grilled pineapple (cue angels singing...) you know that the idea originally came from a girl I met at the gym who saw the idea to broil grapefruit.  Thinking at the time that I hated grapefruit, I decided to do it with pineapple (LOVE!!).  Today I broke down and tried grapefruit.  I absolutely HATED grapefruit growing up.  Since adulthood I have learned to drink (occasionally) grapefruit juice (usually the grapefruit/pomegranate blend from Ocean Spray), but never did go so far as to eat an actual grapefruit.  Yesterday at Cora's I had a couple small, thin slices on my fruit mountain, so I tried it...not bad.  At Pete's Frootique they were on sale 2/$1 so I bought a couple to take home and try under the broiler.  I put half of a grapefruit under the broiler this morning with 1 tsp of brown sugar:



It came out of the oven all nice and bubbly, looking oh so edible.  Unfortunately Blogger is not cooperating today, so you will have to use your imagination.

Once I took it out of the oven (after about 10 mins), I realized I had a problem.  HOW IN THE WORLD do you eat a grapefruit???????  My mother always had this pseudo spork thingy when I was a kid...a spoon that was kinda like a fork (had a serrated end on it)... I don't have one of those.  Trying to dig the sections out with a spoon was just making a juice, sticky mess.  I decided to go with a fork.  While that did eventually work (ouch my fingers...a grapefruit is HOT when it comes out of the oven!), it was messy.  There has to be a better way.  The taste of the broiled grapefruit wasn't bad.  I'd give it 3/5 as a former hater.  Someone who is a grapefruit fan may give this a 5/5 (especially if they have the inside scoop on how to eat the stupid things!).  Hmm, maybe next time I'll peal and section it like an orange?  I don't think it will turn out the same though...something about the brown sugar caramelizing on the juices of the grapefruit... oh well, live and learn!  Now I have 1 1/2 grapefruits left...any suggestions?

0 comments: