Sunday, September 16, 2012

Mixed Bean & Ham Soup

Pin It A while back I bought a large bag of Nupak Soup Mix (pot barley, yellow split, green, split, green whole, yellow whole, green lentils, bean mix) and tossed it in the cupboard to use "some day".  Well yesterday I decided that someday had arrived...today would be the day.  As much as I searched online for recipes using dried beans/peas/barley...there is a serious shortage of ideas out there.  I saw a lot of the same recipe (vegetarian) over and over...but not a lot variety and not a lot of meat recipes.  I decided to wing it and make my own recipe:





Ham and Bean Soup
PointsPlus™ Value:    4
Servings:  8

Ingredients
200 gm dry kidney beans or Nupak soup mix
28 oz canned tomatoes
1 cup celery
1  bell pepper (I used yellow/red)
1 Tbsp canned chipotle pepper
1 cup uncooked onion
3 cups water
32 oz fat-free beef broth
375 gm cooked lean ham
2 Tbsp Epicure Picante Salsa mix
1 Tbsp Clubhouse Indian garam masala seasoning
Garlic (to taste)
1 tsp Chipotle chili powder
1/3 cup frozen corn kernels

Bring water/broth to a boil in a large soup pot (Dutch oven).  Rinse beans/soup mix and add to boiling liquid.  Simmer for 60 minutes (or longer – test your beans for doneness).  Add remaining ingredients and simmer for another 20 minutes.  Add salt and pepper or additional seasoning to taste.

0 comments: